The following is some of the annoying behavior I have observed by authors on various social media platforms. Maybe other people aren't bothered -- but I'm not known for being especially sensitive. So if you're getting on my nerves, chances are that you're alienating other potential readers as well.
- Don't post an ad for your book on someone else's Facebook wall. Yes, posting a link to Amazon and writing "My book is now available for Kindle" is an ad. Post that on YOUR wall.
- Don't add someone to your group without their permission. If you do this, I'm liable to immediately block you.
- Don't accept a friend request and then immediately post "Like me on my fan page" to your new "friend's" wall. This is obnoxious behavior that will also get you blocked.
- As far as that goes, I'm not sure you should ever ask someone to "like" you on your fan page. But if you must, don't do so more than once. Under no circumstances should you ever send multiple messages to the same person asking them to "like" you.
- Along similar lines, don't send people more than one message telling them your book is now available. One message is fine. Anything more than that is annoying.
- Don't post a comment in someone else's discussion saying, "Congrats on your new book! My new book is just out, too. You can buy it from Amazon."
- Don't retweet every positive message you get. If it's someone notable (i.e., with a ton of followers or name-recognition), fine. Retweet it proudly. But for the others, just write back and say thank you. It's classier.
- Don't constantly tweet or post that your book is now available or your book can be bought here, etc. You don't want to be silent about it either. But it shouldn't be five posts in a row every morning.
- By all means, tweet your positive reviews. Maybe even do it twice if you spread it over a couple of days. But not more than that.
I'm sure there are others, but these are the ones that bugged me the most. What are some of your social media pet peeves? And what are some strategies you've found that work without annoying people?